We're currently in the middle of night of painting #2, so I'll make this update brief.

When I left off last week, the bathroom had been stripped of carpet and drywall, and left looking like this:




We've been living in complete dust and chaos since the bathroom was cleared out... Exhibit A:

And this was before the vanity sat in the middle of the room for 2 days...



The bathroom also looked like this before the drywall went up:




First thing in was our new tile floor...

I cheated, I actually just took this 20 minutes ago

There's some really awesome glass mosaic along the step of the shower but it's covered in drop cloths and paint tools right now, so you'll have to wait until next week.

Then it was time for new dual sink plumbing.



Next came the drywall and patching. We hired someone to do this to save time, and because we were too scared to finish out our medicine cabinet box without having it look completely amateur.



He only charged $150 for the entire bathroom... WELL worth it.



Then it was time for paint! The winning color was Behr's "Reflecting Pool", which is a very pale gray-blue.


This swatch makes it look really gray, but my neighbor described it as "baby blue" when he saw it. Either way, I heart it.





Brad also installed recessed speakers and dimmable LED lighting. The light color is unlike anything else in the house... it's the color of daylight, so it feels like we're under a skylight when they are on. Pretty cool.



And finally.... the vanity. Ugh. Everything was coming along so well, until we hung the vanity. And I did a big WTF.

If you can remember.... this is what I ordered:




And this is what I got:







Um, hi? Who ordered the black vanity? Not I. I'm pretty sure it was 'espresso', and I'm pretty sure the pictures showed it ranging from a medium to a dark brown. But certainly not black.

The more I look at this the more annoyed I am. Not that there's anything wrong with black vanities.... I just had my heart set on a brown one. The black just makes the space a lot more modern and colder than what I was going for.

Returning it is not an option at this point, and I love everything else about it.... so I think I'm going to have to sand and stain it. I've never dealt with this sort of super smooth veneer wood looking material... but I hope this works. I just cannot live with the black. If you have any pointers, please tell me in the comments! I need all the help I can get.


So, aside from this huge vanity issue, I'm happy with everything else and the progress we've made. Tonight we finish painting the shower room and hang the screws for our mirrors, and tomorrow the glass tile vanity wall goes in.

More updates to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top